How is this a thing?

File this under the "random" file but that's usually how these little reflections of mine happen.

I was watching this short documentary on the pervasiveness of apps (read: mobile applications) in our daily lives and, even though the report was a tad bit dated, it still caught my attention as I had to compare how things had not only worsened but also the incredibly short time in which this shift had happened.

But I digress - put aside the report, one app caught my eye, as it was brought up as an umpteenth example of how we use apps for pretty much anything and how the coin phrase "there's an app for that" rang ever so true.

The app was "Note To God" and it'ls official description is available as follows:

"Note to God allows the user to enter a personal note to God. The app is non-denominational and is meant to allow anyone with any belief to communicate with his or her own higher power.
In many religions, the act of writing a letter to God is seen as a holy commitment and a legitimate way of communicating one's spiritual emotions. The Note To God app is simply a digital expression of those same honest feelings.
After the note is sent, it disappears. The user cannot recall past notes. This way, the writing of the note can be completely honest and the hitting of send is a true commitment to what's in the note.
"

Quick side note - The creator of the app, a young man by the name of Allen Wright, was hospitalized following a tragic hit-and-run that left him in a coma for 8 days. As far as my research suggests, he has since pulled through and miraculously recovered. During his ordeal, parents and family witnessed the outpouring of thoughts and well-wishes from his app's user community sending their blessings through the app.

As of this posting, the app has long since been removed from the AppStore.

I found myself pausing because, as much I did not want to sound condescending, preachy or simply cynical - it had to be said : HOW. IS THIS. A THING?

I've put this disclaimer forward before so I'll take a second to point this out one more time : I'm not your everyday Christian so I do not sit here as some form of Holier Than Thou individual...*THAT SAID* - when something seems a tad bit peculiar in my honest opinion, I have itch to point it out. Now that we've properly cleared that out, allow me if you would...

WHY - do you need - an app - to pray to God?

I mean really. It's been my very humble understanding that God is Almighty, all powerful, all being, and wouldn't you know it - all seeing...so why would I need an app to communicate with the Lord?

Call me crazy or way too naive but I believe God to be at your side anywhere and anyhow you need Him to be. You don't need an app for that. I think that what's at play here is our ever increasing need to record and have our thoughts archived somewhere for posterity. 
It's my concern that applications and modern methods of communications have certainly earned their useful place in our lives. I even use one for daily meditation. But do we really have to go as far as to need an app to pray to our individual higher power? 
I just find it a bit odd that we've come to this point where one the simplest and most sincere acts of your own personal faith has to be, yet again, subject to an electronic device or preserved via digital medium. Not to mention that the word 'anonymous' always makes me cringe when I see it - cause I don't buy it. But that's a comment for another time.

I can totally empathise with someone having the need to express, share and reflect on their thoughts and emotions as they might be dealing with issues they might not otherwise feel at ease to lay that on someone else like a relative or a friend - but God made it so simple. Why complicate things? I guess I just find that Life has become complicated enough that we shouldn't have to convince ourselves that our prayers, whether intended for own personal struggle or that of our fellow human, need be filtered or curated though an app.

I'm speaking from a position of observation and curiosity not condescension. As far as I can tell, you don't have to pull out your phone to speak to God - He's right here.

Be blessed.

#StayAwesome

Oli
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ep. 030 - Do not be anxious. Recalibrate. (w. Tanguy Exume)

Ep. 181 - Live Your Best Life For You (w. Dionne Nicholls)

Ep. 178 - Embrace both The Light & The Dark (w. Clara Luce Lafond)